For your convenience, many of the products we link too are affiliate links which means we may earn money if you purchase a product we recommend.
Everyone encounters obstacles in their life. They get knocked down and pull themselves back up over and over. That is grit. It is the ability to keep going even when it is difficult. Call it whatever you want, but at the end of the day, grit, perseverance, persistence, or determination is generally the only thing that separates success from failure.
Check out these grit quotes on the importance of grit to get you feeling motivated.
17 Inspirational Grit Quotes
- “Strength does not come from physical capacity, it comes from indomitable will.” — Mahatma Gandhi
- “Every great story happened when someone decided not to give up.” — Spryte Loriano
- “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” — T.S. Eliot
- “Grit is sticking with your future day in, day out and not just for the week, not just for the month, but for years.” — Angela Lee Duckworth
- “Leaders aren’t born, they are made. And they are made like anything else, through hard work. And that’s the price we’ll have to pay to achieve that goal or any goal.” — Vince Lombardi
- “Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” — Thomas Edison
- “Champions aren’t made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them―a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have the skill, and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill.” — Muhammad Ali
- “Over time, grit is what separates fruitful lives from aimlessness.” — John Ortberg
- “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.” — Aristotle
- “True grit is making a decision and standing by it, doing what must be done. No moral man can have peace of mind if he leaves undone what he knows he should have done.” — John Wayne
- “The key to realizing a dream is to focus not on success but on significance–and then even the small steps and little victories along your path will take on greater meaning.” — Oprah Winfrey
- “When we see ourselves in a situation which must be endured and gone through, it is best to make up our minds to it, meet it with firmness, and accommodate everything to it in the best way practicable. This lessens the evil; while fretting and fuming only serves to increase your own torments.” — Thomas Jefferson
- “Dreams don’t work unless you do.” — John C. Maxwell
- “To be gritty is to keep putting one foot in front of the other. To be gritty is to hold fast to an interesting and purposeful goal. To be gritty is to invest, day after week after year, in challenging practice. To be gritty is to fall down seven times, and rise eight.” — Angela Lee Duckworth
- “Grit is that ‘extra something’ that separates the most successful people from the rest. It’s the passion, perseverance, and stamina that we must channel in order to stick with our dreams until they become a reality.” — Travis Bradberry
- “If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” — Bruce Lee
- “You have power over your mind, not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.” — Marcus Aurelius